Sunday, July 1, 2007

NATALIE - Jambo (hello loved ones)

Know it's been quite a while since I sent out an update on my life ~ but here it is finally! Internet has been quite hard to come by at times.

I just finished up a 5 week stent in Lusaka, Zambia serving at a street kid ministry called Chisomo as well as doing nutrition teaching in some remote villages and a TB/AIDS hospice called VK.There's so much to tell about my time there, but I think the details will have to wait a couple months more :)

Zambia is one of the poorest African countries with 50% unemployment and 80% poverty rate. It was so shocking though to see the joy and peace in so many of their lives even without the wants most of us mistake as necessities. It was an incredible experience, challenging at times, but nontheless incredible.

Our God is so good and CREATIVE! The ways He used me in my unique interests and abilities was remarkable, as was feeling Him bless me so deeply through the people I thought I was sent to reach and gain nothing much in return :) Isn't that just like Him? The base was wonderful and the staff members became like family - I will miss them so much.

We left Zambia for a 3 day train ride on an old Soviet train; followed by an 11 hour bus ride through the Tanzanian countryside to Arusha. I was AWESTRUCK by the scenery. So many times I had to sit back, take a breath and remind myself that I was actually experiencing these things ~

No animal sightings yet, but I've heard that while camping out with the Masai people, I'll get unbelievably unique opportunities. The animals are beginning their journey back to Tanzania from Kenya, so I should be able to experience their migration.

I've also enjoyed seeing myself pushed to the limit during the past week of traveling. There have been a few times when I've just had to laugh, take a deep breath and deal.

We are now FINALLY settled into the Arusha base which is much larger than the Lusaka one. There are about 100 people on base right now and it is totally different from our stay in Zambia. We only stay here on the weekends while spending the weekdays out on location.

We are coming up on a week at an orphanage down south and then the rest of our time living with the Masai tribe. I haven't met any yet, but I had such an incredible view of them periodically along the bus ride here. I have NEVER seen such intimidatingly majestic and royal looking people. They are on average 6.5 to 7 feet tall and wear bright red and purple robes with gauges in their ears and rings around their necks. I am VERY excited about finding out more about them in the days to come.

Going up against their nomadic religions of ancestry worship will be hard - but I serve a mighty and steadfast God. He's not surprised by the hurdles. You can be praying for continued energy, excitement and passion for me. I have to be filled up every morning due to the sometimes painful emptying of the day. I'm a bit tired so hope this is all coherent ~

I'll try to do weekend updates as much as possible! Thanks for EVERYTHING, you are greatly loved and missed :) Talk to you soon, Lord willing!!

All my love,

Nattie

2 comments:

shirleywoff said...

Natalie! We have received your emails and now are so excited to see you blogging right along with us! Folks around here have been asking about your travels, so now they can read for themselves!

When we have said you will be living alongside, and working with, the Masai people . . . some gasp in excitement. Keep us informed, babe!

For such a time as this. I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Natalie, you wrote..... "I have to be filled up every morning due to the sometimes painful emptying of the day." When I read this sentence I was reminded of a quote by Jill Briscoe. "We have to step out and pour out, trusting that the Holy Spirit will fill us and give us what we need to continue." This I believe you do. I love you, Sweetie...Aunt Nell